Skip to main content

Album Review: Infected Rain - Time

Infected Rain is one of those bands that I have always admired, ever since I discovered them. However, for some reason, I’ve not talked about them on the blog. They’re one of those bands that I don’t feel get the love they truly deserve and I have no idea why. They’re an extremely competent metal act that dances in between hardcore punk, metalcore and nu-metal. They way their music is delivered is always something special and something that gets me slam dancing in my living room. I discovered them via their second album Embrace Eternity and ever since I have been a fan of some sorts. This new album Time is their sixth studio album and I think this album has the tough job of following up their critically-acclaimed Ecdysis but I think this one will hit even harder. Once again produced by Valentin Voluta, Time delivers on the heavy in an all new way. The big difference on this record is the band now being armed with their new bassist, Alice Lane. She joins the band bringing a whole new foundation for the band build their house heavy on.

This is one of those albums that once it starts it just doesn’t stop. It’s an album that I found hard to put down as the relentless energy pulled me in song after song. I think the song “Because I Let You” is a decent introduction and it feel like the last moment to turn around before the album really kicks into gear. Once the second track “Dying Light” starts, it’s too late you’re in it from there on in. All in all the one, two punch of those two opening tracks are super impressive. On my first listen, I was immediately invested. At this point in their career it’s still nice to see the band flex and experiment with different genres. You can here the band playing with djent in “Dying Light”, melodic-hardcore in “Lighthouse” and you even get some of the riffy goodness of groove metal in “Enimity”. All of this, with glistening production. Nothing feels too muddy or distorted. Voluta manages to balance the musicianship and allow it to act as a bedrock for Lena’s vocals to really do their thing and land with an impact.

You might be asking is, this album just unrelenting heaviness. I would say yes, and no. Thought this album is a brutal affair there are moments of levity. Not only is Lena such a flexible vocalist but the musicianship from Vidick, Alice and Eugene also matches suit. You get these really spare and etherial moments on the album like in the verses of “Game of Blame” and “Paura”. However, when they need to turn it up to eleven they absolutely hit the nail on the head. “Vivarium” has that subtle build and then unleashes hell. These moment of tension and release keep the album fresh and dynamic and it doesn’t feel like you’re listening to one long slog of heavy screaming, thick bass and crushing percussion. I feel in that respect this album is very well paced.

Time is a supremely impressive album and I think this is Infected Rain moving more into a melodic metalcore direction with their music. I think that this direction suits them and allows them to expand and experiment even further. It’s a no-skip album, there’s just not a single track that you can fast-forward through. It’s all worth experiencing. I think there are bold differences here whilst the band still maintain that core of what makes their sound unique. It’s still very much an Infected Rain album, but there’s certainly a new fire that comes with these songs. I can’t wait to lose my shit when I see them live.