Skip to main content

Interview with Lena Scissorhands of Infected Rain

 

Infected Rain has just put out their sixth album, Time. An album set to revitalize the band and bring them into a new era. Join me in my discussion with frontwoman, Lena Scissorhands as we discuss the change in the band and their journey from their humble origins to the titans of the modern metal world! In this interview Lena talks about the new album and the journey to it's release and the time spent on the music videos for all of the singles. Lena gives her take on taking to the stage and how sometimes a change is for the best.

Mick: How have you found the reaction to the new album, Time since its release?

Lena: It was beyond our expectations for sure. We definitely knew that people would be able to relate to at least some of the themes on the album. However, we were not prepared for the outpouring of love, that we received for this record. It was quite pleasant to hear the song-by-song reaction as well because we released five singles before the album's release. Which brings you to almost half of the album. When you get such a positive reaction to half of the album you already kind of know what to expect. So, even considering the reactions, positivity and support for the singles, since May last year with the first single “Dying Light”. Even that didn’t prepare us for the insane amount of reactions to the album itself. It is very pleasant for sure.


Mick: I can imagine how humbling that must be. In terms of the singles what was your favourite of the music videos, in terms of the finished product?

Lena: It’s very hard to choose as they’re all so unique. In fact, there’s going to be one more music video coming soon. We’re going to give the fans some time to enjoy, Time. Which will make six, so exactly half of the album has music videos. We’ve done many music videos before but I don’t think ever as many for one album. We were just so inspired and had so much more to say. Like, every single music video is an extension of what we had to say on the record and in the songs themselves. So it’s so difficult to choose which music video I liked best. 

Just because there were big ups and downs with the production of each video. I absolutely loved creating “Dying Light”. The way we created that video was very stressful. So, we had done music videos remotely before but never fully by myself. There was always at least one more member of the band with me, just to keep me focused and to tell me what to do. I mean for the director of the video to have the right material for the shoot itself. This time we were just trying to follow certain guidelines that we were given. It was a complete surprise. Also, that was the first video where we were introducing the new band member, Alice. So quite an emotional time. There’s a lot to say for “Dying Light”. 

However, there’s also a lot to say about “Because I Let You”. I don’t think I even have to say why. That song has so much emotion and pain and it’s left up to interpretation. Throughout the video, you can really get that sense of macabre. It will do when the video was set in a mortuary. I almost lost my vision during that shoot as well!

Mick: Oh really? How did that happen?

Lena: Well, no one even considered what would happen until the morning after. Apparently, that facility had a specific quartz lamp on for disinfecting the room, it’s used in medicine and medical facilities, specifically in Eastern Europe. I heard how dangerous this was as my mother, who used to be a nurse, told me about them. So, I was probably pretty lucky that this lamp was pretty old and no one had changed the light itself. So the damage to my vision was nowhere as bad as it could have been. Then the very next day, I had to shoot the video for “Lighthouse”. So, for the majority of that shoot, my eyes were not cooperating and I was in so much pain. 


Mick: The things you do for your art, am I right?

Lena:  It’s not all bad! I mean the video for “Lighthouse”, we got the opportunity to perform on a real theatre stage. With all of the props and the team for that set, we felt like real actors in a theatre. Also, the children did a really great job. I was very emotional while filming it. 

Then with “Vivarium” we were told at the last minute that the place where we wanted to film was under construction. It was probably like two days before. We couldn’t reschedule, the crew or the date or time because you lose money that way. But ultimately that video turned out so much better than we could have ever planned!


Mick: It’s always the things you don’t expect that work out the best sometimes! So, since you now have six albums, is it difficult to decide what is going on the setlist?

Lena: So we’ve performed “Dying Light”, “Because I Let You”, “Never To Return” and “Vivarium” at 70,000 Tons of Metal and we’re going to be adding another song to this upcoming tour. It’s definitely going to be a challenge to come up with a setlist. Something that helps is timing when exactly you’re performing. So this upcoming tour will predominantly be songs from the new album as we’ve just released it and we’re trying to promote it. The other reason we’re mostly performing new songs is to respect our new band member, Alice. She was not part of the composing process but she recorded the bass for some of the songs. So, performing the new songs will show off this new incarnation of Infected Rain. Of course, we will play some of the older hits. The setlist will also change with how much we feel the songs land with the crowds. So that’s definitely a factor. 


Mick: Definitely, there has to be that balance of playing the new songs to see how they go down with the crowd and playing the hits to please the older fans who are coming back to hear their favourites.

Lena: Yeah sometimes people just don’t understand we’re given a specific amount of time on stage and can only do so much. You can’t please everybody all the time, one person likes one song and another person likes another song. There’s always the chance at least one person is going to leave the show saying “Man, they didn’t play my favourite song”. I know it because, hey, it happens to me too! Also, you know, sometimes it’s not about the preference of the musicians, but if you’re a fan of your own music, it shouldn’t matter what you decide goes on the setlist. 


Mick: Of course. So for this upcoming tour, you’re the main support for Dragonforce and Amaranthe. Being that this is a co-headline tour, is that playing into how long you’re getting on stage?

Lena: I can totally disclose this we’re going to play eight songs, so, about 45 minutes. If you’re including an intro and stage antics and whatever. 

Mick: So given your experience as the frontwoman. Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians aiming to be the front person of their bands?

Lena: Well, I don’t know if what I do is the right thing. I’m also learning and trying new things. I try to observe everything around me. I take inspiration from other musicians, in different genres too, not only metal. I do get inspired by how certain people talk or how people move. I would suggest doing your research and going to live shows from big acts to small acts. Go to concerts of different genres too, don’t just stick to one genre and get inspired. Don’t try to copy anybody, don’t try to say the exact same words but try to understand why doing what they do gets a reaction from the audience. 

For example, Pink. She’s an absolutely amazing artist, musician, and performer. Why does what she says resonate? Or take Randy Blythe from Lamb of God, how does he get the crowd to react the way they do. Pay attention and ask yourself how you can do that for your audience. Just as important make it your own performance. Even if you’re the support act and no one came for you per se. Those people are still there listening to you, those people chose to give you a chance to entertain them, so be nice. Don’t let anybody ruin your show. 


Mick: So you’ve overcome crowd members trying to ruin your show?

Lena: Yeah It may be the case that someone was a bit grumpy and didn’t look like they’re having a good time. I’ve had people give me the middle finger from the crowd and I’ve had a guy grab my ass, during a song! However, I always tell myself that no matter the behaviour of individual audience members, I have to remember it doesn’t represent the city, the town or even the crowd as a whole. It’s just some assholes.

I’ve seen bands ruin their entire performance, their entire show for the sake of those assholes. It’s just not worth it. 


Mick: So, from your years playing live do you have any particular “Holy Shit, I can’t believe that happened” moments?

Lena: I do cherish every moment on stage. No matter how small the venue, no matter how big the festival. However, I think the one thing that will forever be in my memory is our very first time in front of a massive audience. It was a festival in Germany called Summerbreeze, I believe it was in 2017. It was so fantastic! First of all the insane amount of people that were there. It was just different, we had never played in front of so many people. We also shared this entire backstage area with big bands that we grew up listening to. These bands helped us through difficult moments in our lives. We got to meet Korn, who turned out to be absolutely amazing people. So getting to talk to and connect with all these amazing bands, especially at the time, was such a unique feeling and I’ll remember that!

It was such an amazing feeling to perform and connect with so many. Especially for us as we’re a band that comes from a country that some people don’t even know exists! A country that used to be part of the USSR, a country that is so poor even to this day that people can barely pay their own bills and can’t even afford to follow their dreams. And we had made it to this massive event and got to perform for a crowd that was excited to see us. It really felt like the moment we had made it. We had been through so many difficulties, and that was the first time I felt so proud of our achievements. 


Mick: That sounds really inspiring to have been able to pull yourself out of that situation and stake your claim. Also, you found success in something you love, which I think is something we all want. 

Lena: Of course we all do. However, life and routine often take over. However, if you live in a country that doesn’t even give you a chance to take that extra money to invest in your dreams it forces you to just survive. That’s what happened to us, we were just surviving for the longest of time. I will never forget another important moment in our career, where after eight years of doing what we do, coming to the end of 2016, we could actually afford to share some of the money around the band. Money from the income of the band! Over those eight years, every penny of that money had to be refunded back to the survival of the band. We had to invest in instruments, materials, albums and everything that we needed. I mean what we got to share wasn’t much, maybe a few hundred euros each. We were all still in our own individual jobs with bad bosses who didn’t want to let us go on tour. But getting paid, profit, for our music it felt like a beginning.

Mick: It sounds like a worthy journey. As, I personally, haven’t heard a bad word about you! You have certainly garnered critical acclaim!

Lena: Thank you! It means so much to hear that. You know I’ve heard some really weird stories about me and the apparently horrible things I’ve done! It’s like a game of broken telephone people seem to spread these stories about me. It’s funny how I didn’t know this situation ever happened?! According to them, I’m a really terrible person! (laughing). Apparently, I have to work on some shit!


Mick: Yeah, Lena when are you getting to therapy?! Now that you are at this stage of your career, six albums in and have amassed critical acclaim. Do you feel like it’s been difficult to come up with new material, without feeling like you’re crossing old territory or repeating yourself?

Lena: Well, to be honest with you and I don’t want to sound negative. I believe that up until the change in the lineup, the band had become a little stagnant. For many internal reasons and I’m not pointing fingers or playing the blame game. Often in a band with multiple musicians, some people just don’t get along and don’t have the same views on the songs or on the career path in general. So these differing views on the same topic can lead to people not being as motivated to create.

I felt that faucet opening so brutally when this lineup change happened. Even before we chose Alice. So when Vidick and Eugen were working on new material, every new piece of music that they sent my way, I just loved it! You know when you have a piece of jewellery and with time, it’s just as pretty, but it starts to fade and get darker and it needs to be cleaned up and get polished. That’s what, I think, happened here on this new album.


Mick: I noticed a very distinct difference between the previous album, Ecdysis and this new album, Time! There was just a whole new energy to it.

Lena: Well thank you for that! I don’t want people to think that I hate any of the music we’ve done before. I still love each of our previous albums as they represent us at specific eras of our career. They represented what we were then. No matter what I will always love it. The last album Ecdysis, showed us that certain things needed to change. We tried to introduce more diversity in our sound and apparently, that was not what needed to change. This line-up change was a long time coming, we were waiting for the dust to settle and for people to change their minds. No one wanted to bring up the elephant in the room. As far as anybody knew everything was perfect inside the band and all of a sudden, two members left. 

Guys, I’m gonna level with you. When a band seems fine and then suddenly members leave, I can guarantee you that something has been going on for a while behind closed doors. Some things have to stay personal. Even if there is something more to it, it shouldn’t be broadcast around because neither party wants the fans to hate the people who left or the people who stayed. No one wants to influence the listener to make a choice. It’s just so unnecessary. So, that’s why we tried to make it work, but then we realised that this would only be a temporary change. However, I’m still so happy for everything we did together because that’s what led us to make this album, Time.

CHECK OUT INFECTED RAIN: FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | SPOTIFY | X


Did you like this interview. Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee