Skip to main content

Album Review: Dan Patlansky - Movin' On

It’s been a hot minute since I have talked about South African blues star, Dan Patlansky. He’s always been one of those artists that has lingered in my music collection and I have so much respect for the man. I first caught wind of him with his 2014 album, Dear Silence Thieves and since then I listen to his records here and there. The last time I spoke at length about him was when he opened for guitar legend Joe Satriani. So yeah, it’s been a fair few years. Well, it appears, Dan is back with a new record in 2024 and I have an an early chance to listen to it. The new album is titled, Movin’ On. This album is completely blues in all the best ways: deep, personal and introspective. An exploration of Patlansky’s moods, emotions and filled to the brim anecdotal poetry. The album flickers back and forth between soulful beauty and gritty, harsh old school blues, in all the best ways. If you like loud fuzz rock and noodling guitar solos then this is certainly the album for you!

I think what I appreciate about the album is how malleable and fluid it is as Patlansky navigates from blues-rock to more traditional blues. One minute you could have the loud fuzz rock style as in “One My Way” then the next you’re in a Stevie Ray Vaughn-esk blues jam session, like the track “Baby’s Packin’ Heat”. And Dan takes it all in stride as he effortlessly manages to switch from riff to solo, all while handling the vocals like a champ. Dan sounds so good on this record, he has this relatively smooth voice, but man when he wants to put some power into it man can he let it go. However, when he has to give a softer performance, like in “Welcome In” or the title track “Movin’ On”, his voice just floats on top of the production, with the beautiful music propping it up. 

Like I said the album definitely has its straight-up rock moments and there is so much to enjoy about those songs. The complexity of the solos juxtaposed against the simplicity of the verses, one minute you’re listening to an easy to absorb melody then next Patlansky hits you across the face with a gut-busting solo that makes you question how many fingers the man has! Years and years of refinement, practice and persistence has made his guitar skills undeniable. All of this is left on display in the album closer which is a four minute and thirteen second instrumental, where Dan really just shows off like you wouldn’t believe. As an intermediate guitar player myself, I can truly appreciate how much goes into the skill level. Making something so complex, yet so palatable for the average listener. It’s a real masterclass in guitar. 

This is a pretty fun record. 2024 has already been very generous with the new music releases and Dan Patlansky adds to the overall great landscape and the music scene. This album won’t be for everyone, if you’re not into blues music and lots of complicated guitar parts, then I can’t recommend it as Patlansky isn’t reinventing the wheel. However, if you love this genre and this style of music then there is something here for you, hell you’re probably already aware of Dan Patlansky and his extensive discography. Also, if you’re any sort of fan of fuzzy riffs and general riff-rock, I think you’ll get a kick out of this. This is another release I think will stick with me for the course of this year and the years to come. Just like the rest of his work. I look forward to hearing these songs live when I get the opportunity. 

CHECK OUT DAN PATLANKSY WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE | SPOTIFY

Did you like this Album Review? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee