Skip to main content

EP Review: Caitlin Krisko & The Broadcast - Blueprints

So, this one came out of nowhere. Since I first heard Caitlin Krisko & The Broadcast in Liverpool last year (click here to read) I have been spinning their music consistently. I knew they had new music in the works, I was just surprised when their new EP hit my inbox. They have been bubbling under the surface for a while now. Their music is a modern rock interpretation of classic soul music, with big vocals and a smooth AM-rock feel. It’s just great music to chill out to. It’s something to experience with all of your soul. This new EP, Blueprints shines as a beacon in this new era of blues-infused rock ‘n’ roll. There are a lot of bands in this space at the moment, so it takes something special to stand out. This is an EP that I have consistently kept listening to since it landed in my inbox. This six-track EP is a solid release and does what it’s designed to do, it gives the audience a little taste and tests the water for ideas and concepts that can be taken forward onto a full LP.

The EP consists of six songs that take the listener on a journey through different rock genre influences, everything from blues to soul to R’n’B. I can just feel their music in my bones. The way this album sounds is just beautiful. Each layer of the production gives way to more beauty and every moment from the opening notes of “Devil on My Shoulder” to the closing melodies of “Have To Say Goodbye” is just a wonderful listening experience. The band wears their influences on their sleeves. The golden guitar tones, the bass as smooth as butter and the drums perfectly encapsulate the magic. Laying on top is the wonderful vocals of Krisko. Her voice is so pleasant to listen to, she puts just the right amount of power and emphasis into it. As an overall sound, this is the complete package. It’s that type of sound where I can sit with it, with a good pair of headphones, and take in the well-balanced soundscape. As I have done over the last few weeks.



One thing that I think this band completely nails is the ability to tell stories through their music. They bring stories to life in the short time they have here on this EP. I think their lyrics are well thought out and well constructed. You get the full scope in the runtime of each song. Be it the tightly-packed hook fest of “Operator” or the open-feeling space of the blues ballad “Haunted By You”. There are wonderful little pieces of songwritery details littered throughout the verses, which lead to hooks that ring with impact. The chorus lines feel like the culmination of what was built up in the verses. The riffs hook you in, the vocals are the main course and the blistering guitar solos from Aaron Austin are the chef’s kiss to the musical cuisine. Each song leaves you wanting more.

It’s an EP that’s very confident in what it is, yet with the promise of bigger and better things to come. If you love your blues rock and heartfelt soul, then I couldn’t recommend this record enough. I think this is a pretty general sound that most people could find something to enjoy. As I’ve said, this genre is such a hotly contested space at the moment, so you need something instantly identifiable to shine through. These guys have that certain spark that has already broken through, but I think could go further. Their music is a melting pot of the best-quality styles and sounds. Their music has spoken to me at least, and I hope it finds more of an audience. It’s something I would recommend giving a chance.

CHECK OUT CAITLIN KRISKO & THE BROADCAST: WEBSITE | YOUTUBEFACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | SPOTIFY

Did you like this album review? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee



 

Comments