Skip to main content

Spiders - Crystal Eyes | Album Review

Spiders have always been one of those bands I’ve tried to keep a close eye on. I’ve loved their music for a long time, and even though I’ve never seen them live, their records stick with me. I remember buying the CD, Shake Electric, and being completely blown away by their 70s throwback sound and rock n roll ethos. They’re just an incredible band, and I encourage anyone reading this to listen to their discography, especially if you’re into that late 60s to early 70s rock sound that seems to have been lost somewhere in the modern-day rock scene. So, after listening to their latest fifth album, Crystal Eyes, and speaking with the lead vocalist Ann-Sofia Hoyles, I thought I’d give you my thoughts on the record and what I feel works about this latest offering. This album feels similar in some aspects but wildly different if you know what to listen to.

Opening on the fast and furious “Creature of the Night”, the album starts on the right foot. If you’re new to Spiders, then you’ll be met with energetic, fiery songs that get you in that rock ‘n’ roll mood. For returning listeners, you should note that this record serves as a mix of their glam rock and punk rock styles, overlapping. From a pure production standpoint, this album sounds excellent. The guitar tone, specifically. It has this rich tone that rings out so well. There’s a snap to the drums and a wonderfully thick bass tone. This album was crafted at Sweden’s premier music studio, Svenska Grammofonstudion, and you can hear all of that experience, know-how and talent in the engineering of the instruments in the studio. I think what gives the sound a specific edge is that the songs sound like they’ve been captured in their rawest form. The sound is frantic, wild and passionate. Which Spiders are very well known for.

However, my personal favourite song on the record is not one of the louder punk songs. It’s the slow ballad, “(Doomed to a) Life of Misery”. This song is wonderful. Performed as a duet between lead vocalist Ann-Sofia Hoyles and guitarist (and husband) John Hoyles, this track is one that feels kinda perfect. As I said in our interview, it feels like a song that has always existed. It feels like those ballads from the 60s my mum and dad would listen to. The way the song jangles along with the beautifully produced harmonies ringing clear on the top layer of the production. The song hits a soft spot for me, as it covers themes of sadness, depression and feeling lost in life. There are other excellent tracks on the album. I think a future fan-favourite will be the catchy hook of “Quit You” or the fun of the title track “Crystal Eyes”. I think those are the highlights for me at least. Though, I’m sure you’ll find your own favourites.

I think there would be an argument that this album might feel a little derivative of classic rock. Spiders aren’t afraid to wear their influences on their sleeves. However, I know throwback bands can be difficult for people to listen to, as they usually don’t add much to the genre as a whole. With that, I would say that Spiders, while not trying to reinvent the wheel, are very much their own thing. They take the elements that they enjoy from punk, new wave, and rock ‘n’ roll, and they blast it through the speakers at full volume. I don’t think you can really mistake Spiders for anyone else; however, with every song you’re able to notice where they pulled certain sounds from. This album takes Bowie, T. Rex, Blondie and The Clash and reworks those influences into a distinct and captivating sound.

I’ve been very much engaged with this record. Something about it speaks to me on an emotional and almost primitive level. If I listen to it in isolation, I think this record is spectacular. However, if you think of this record as an extension of the last record, Sharp Objects, I think you’ll find that this works amazingly as a companion piece. As part of their overall discography, I think this is a worthy addition, and I’m sure some of these songs will work as part of their future setlists. They’ve found their niche, and they play into it well while still finding room to experiment and switch up the formula.

Comments

If You Liked This, Maybe Read These Articles

Hypnosaur Interview: New Music, Songwriting, and Surviving as an Independent Band in 2026

As It Is Live at District, Liverpool: 21 Songs, One Unmissable Night