Skip to main content

Escape The Hive - Fight Or Flight: Album Review

You may remember that earlier this year I got to speak with Michael Beck and Paul Williams from the American rock band Escape The Hive. (Click Here to Read the Interview) When we spoke, they were talking about the new record and, from the first single, “Around The Sun”, I was quite excited for the record to be released. Now it’s been released and has been in my rotation for a little bit; I thought I’d follow up on that interview and take some time to share my thoughts. This album, Fight or Flight, is the follow-up record to their 2023 album, This Is Gonna Sting, and you can hear the development from one album to the next. Though they’re sticking to the same genre, there does feel like a notable progression from the first to this new album. I’ve been putting it on and letting it play from start to end, and I have to say, I do think this is an enjoyable listening experience. If you’re into that late-70s to early-80s AOR or glam rock, then I think this is an album you’ll very quickly get behind. It pulls a lot of the same tricks: big riffs, blistering solos and big anthemic sing-a-long choruses. So it plays really well; the album as a whole is pleasant and one to easily slot into your playlists, if you’re already into this genre.

The album blasts straight into gear with the glam rock smasher “Sting Like The Truth”, and from this first song, you know what you’re going to get. 80s-esque rock ‘n’ roll that hits your ears in just that right kind of way. There are no surprises here; I think there is something to the K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid, not the band). Keeping things simple is exactly what they needed to do. They played around with different sounds on the first album, and now they’ve honed in on what they do best and just execute it. Song after song. The production is great. It’s clean and easy to understand. There’s just no muddiness. Which happens with modern rock. However, Escape The Hive’s sound is super-clean and distinguished. Each part of the band is clear and able to be felt, and they all play their roles. The drums are so well recorded, you can hear and feel every drum and cymbal hit. The bass is wonderfully implemented and has this really nice clean tone. The two guitars have that crunch to the tone that’s so satisfying, especially to someone like me who grew up listening to this sound. The guitar solos are absolutely on point as Conrad Varela adds the right amount of effects, while still capturing the raw nature of the instrument. Cutting through the sound like a knife, you have Beck’s vocals, which are such a throwback to classic rock of the 80s. He has so much control over his voice and adds the right amount of distortion to suit the song’s purposes.

I think there’s a good mix in style. From the more riff-driven “Sting Like The Truth” and “Around The Sun”, to the more rock ‘n’ roll style of songs like “Skin And Bone” and then the slower ballad-like songs such as “Careful What You Wish For” and “Life And Roses”. Each song serves a purpose on the record; it doesn’t feel like there’s a song that I would classify as filler. There’s just something to the album that keeps me coming back for more. Songs like “Don’t Spill The Wine” and “These Changing Times” are ones that I keep coming back to, over and over. The former, I like the acoustic opening to the song and how it falls into the song itself. The latter?… I just really like the groove of the riff. I’m a sucker for a good groovy riff. However, it’s clear that the band have done their homework. They clearly have an affinity for this sound and write it well.

So, was the album worth the wait? For me, yes. I think the band definitely accomplished what they set out to do. Will this album convince anyone who’s not into this style of rock music? Probably not. If you’ve never gotten into AOR or glam rock bands of yesteryear, it’s slightly difficult to recommend them to you. However, if you like bands like Poison, Dio, Journey or Mötley Crüe, and you’re looking for new music to add to your collection, I think Escape The Hive are a band you need to seek out. The album is well constructed, concise and clean. All of the band’s parts are well defined and, well, it’s just fun to listen to. I’ve had a really great time with it anyway. Check them out if you haven’t.

Comments

If You Liked This, Maybe Read These Articles

Hypnosaur Interview: New Music, Songwriting, and Surviving as an Independent Band in 2026

As It Is Live at District, Liverpool: 21 Songs, One Unmissable Night