Skip to main content

Hostal Handshake - Stone Oracle: Album Review

I love Bandcamp Friday! It’s such a genuinely good way to support the artists and bands that need extra support. I waited to get this album on Bandcamp Friday. They’re a band I’ve kept my tabs on for a little while now. Hostal Handshake are from Athens, Greece and a band I definitely recommend you go check out. They’ve been around since the early 2000s and had success with their debut album, Hellish, from 2007. It must have been a long wait for the die-hard, day-one fans, as they’ve returned 18 years later. This year, Hostel Handshake has released their long-awaited sophomore record, Stone Oracle. The music landscape might have changed dramatically since their last album, but they’re back with all the fire and fury you’d want from a band like this. I was introduced to them by word-of-mouth recommendations. I’ve been listening to them quite frequently. This album has actually been sitting on my Bandcamp wishlist for a little while now. Well, today is the day to do it; why not throw some extra money their way and get it on Bandcamp Friday? 

This kind of music is very much what I enjoy about rock and metal: big and bold riffs, blistering guitar solos, and lyrics sung with conviction and depth. This album just feels huge. Every song blasts with force and echoes out. It’s what heavy metal is all about: capturing the roots of blues and rock ‘n’ roll and then cranking the dial up to 11. Which I think the band pulled off really well. The sound is full; the guitars take up much of the foreground, and then the bass and drums fill in the gaps. The vocals serve as a great way to tie up the production. It really says something when the instrumental tracks do more of the heavy lifting than the vocals. That being said, when the vocals are deployed on the album, they range from this almost ethereal-sounding echo to what I can only describe as post-grunge vocals. They definitely have that extra little punch. All of this combined makes for a solid listening experience.

 

With 16 tracks and 2 bonus tracks on this mammoth of an album, there are some clear standouts in my book. “Getting High On The Road” sounds like a rock song from the 1960s coming back for another ride out. “You Mojo” is a fun but touching little intermission in the middle of the record, which puts a smile on my face. Having lost my own father, it’s a song that spoke to me, with this track serving as a tribute to the passing of the songwriter's father. It serves as a cool intro to “Opium Haze”. The whole album has this feel of throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks. I like this approach as it shows the creative range of this band. This album isn’t just one thing all the time. The album speeds up and slows down. You have your more blues-influenced tracks that stretch out the riffs, like “Into Morpheus”, but you also have songs that pick up the pace and feel a little more rock ‘n’ roll, like “The Lizard Sleeps in Oil”. There are even moments where the band injects that AM rock vibe on tracks like “The Hostel Protocol”. It’s a mixed bag in a good way. 

From a pure production standpoint, the record is wonderful to listen to. Everything comes in nice and clear, and nothing feels too muddy. The album is very guitar-forward, while the bass almost acts like an accent. In the very top end, the little cymbal hits add this great top layer. The vocals are quite well mixed throughout. There are tracks with keyboards and synth, and when it’s applied, it’s a nice touch. I do wish more of the album had it. All in all, I really like how this album sounds. It’s one that I can just put on and enjoy the musicianship. 

This was such a good get and one I had to tell you guys about. It’s groovy, bluesy, heavy and just hits that right sweet spot. There’s plenty on this album to enjoy for people who are into the genre. I’d also argue there’s content here for people outside of the scene. If you like that old rock ‘n’ roll style of heavy blues, this will definitely scratch that itch for you. The heavy distortion and creative lyrical work add a wonderful little layer of intrigue on top of the album. It’s not just heavy riffs and bass… Though it has plenty of that too. It’s music made by people who get it. They understand what it’s all about. Make the sound fill the room and then, if there’s still space, fill it with more creativity. Stone Oracle is a great goody-bag of heavy metal, blues and rock ‘n’ roll. I couldn’t have asked for more than that, really. 

CHECK OUT HOSTAL HANDSHAKE: BANDCAMP 

Comments

Post a Comment

If You Liked This, Maybe Read These Articles

Hypnosaur Interview: New Music, Songwriting, and Surviving as an Independent Band in 2026

As It Is Live at District, Liverpool: 21 Songs, One Unmissable Night