I have had many encounters with the British metal band, Green Lung. Yet, I have never really spoken about them on the blog. They’re a band I have run into many times on my travels and a band that always stays in my rotation. They’re a band that has always stood out to me. I saw them last year at Graspop Metal Meeting, and they were simply spectacular when they took to the stage. So when I got the opportunity to have a sneaky first listen to their new album, Necropolitan, I just wanted to go over why I appreciate them as a band. This album is their fourth record, and it’s been a little while since their previous effort in 2023. So, this is a treat for their fanbase. The band hired producer Tom Dalgety, known for his work with Opeth and Ghost, at Rockfield Studios, to record, mix and master the album. Which makes all the sense when you listen to the album. I would actually say this record is a perfect introduction to the band and their style, which is very reminiscent of old-school heavy metal. So, let’s get into the record proper.
From a pure production aspect, this album sounds incredible. It has a wide soundscape that rings out and echoes. The music oozes atmosphere. All instruments sound bold and powerful, with the vocal layer sounding ethereal and otherworldly. Every clatter of the drums, every note of the guitars- it all just sounds wonderful. It all comes together so well. It’s eerie how much they’re able to perfectly capture that classic heavy metal vibe, while still injecting some personality to make it original and still very distinctly their sound. The bulky tone and heavy basslines feel very Green Lung. Tom Templar’s vocals are just wonderful to listen to on this record. He has a voice that I don’t think anyone can really replicate. It’s this haunting sound that floats in the production mix as the heavy bass tones flood the foreground. The vocals are beautiful but also direct. They never feel lost in the mix at any point, even with the heavy sounds coming from the instruments. The additional layer of the organ adds to that vibe and gives the band this psychedelia. Especially when the organ matches the guitar note for note.
Necropolitan is just big riff after big riff. The album opens with a small overture called “Open The Hellmouth”, which sets up the atmosphere and tone that the record is going for. The song lyrics allude to occult lore that encircles London, where the band come from. In particular, the seven garden cemeteries that surround the city. Songs like “Dance To The Grave” and “Together In Death” don’t even feel metaphorical; there’s such a direct nature to the lyrics and how they’re presented. Whereas songs like “Black Magick Radio” and “Ozymandias” are more poetic in their lyrical construction and feel more like you’re being told a story, set to music. The music is powerful and commanding. My personal favourite song, if I had to pick, would be the album closer “To the Gallows Born”. It starts with this atmospheric acapella intro, then the guitar riff twangs into place and the band gets into the groove. The guitar tone is thick; the organ definitely gives an old-school quality, and the vocals sound extraordinary.
This album is absolutely worth your time and a reason why I love this band. As I stated, this album could be used as an introduction to the band. It feels like they’ve taken everything they’ve learned from their career and channelled it into a significantly good album. Green Lung will certainly scratch that old-school rock and metal itch. If you have a hankering for that 60s psychedelic rock sound, then I do recommend giving them a shot. The music is well written with incredible vocals. The themes and ideas come through clearly and, most importantly, I think most of these songs will sound amazing live in concert. When I next get to see them, I’ll report back.

Comments
Post a Comment