Skip to main content

Album Review: Sonata Arctica - Clear Cold Beyond

There aren’t many things in life that get me quite as hyped as a new album from one of my favourite bands. So it brings me great pleasure that we’re getting a new record from Sonata Arctica. A band that I’ve held very dearly to my heart for a long time. Their amazing blend of overly-bombastic richness and intense power metal usually results in a masterclass of the genre. So, now that my expectations are through the roof, let’s allow the Finnish power metal titans blow my mind once again. Clear Cold Beyond is just simply that damn good. No, I’m not just saying that and this is not bias. This is absolutely a gripping and mesmerising record filled to the brim with music that will make anybody’s head explode. Not only do I think this album is great, I think this may be the best Sonata Arctica album in the last 10 years, and that’s saying something!

The album opens up as it means to go on. It seems like the band have made it clear they wanted to do one thing, and one thing only… Go fast. Like Sonic The Hedgehog their off like a flash and right out of the gates we get a triple whammy of “First In Line”, “California” and “Shah Mat”. This opening is a statement that Sonata mean business and they get to stretch their power metal chops. I can understand if you’re a newer fan that this can feel like a bit much as they do go full throttle. Don’t worry they do calm down a little. However, for classic fans of albums like Silence or Reckoning Night. This feels like a complete return to form. I think on a production level this album sound simply immaculate. Tony Kakko’s writing is so sharp and delivers that right amount of punch. It’s very much to my liking, then again, I’m a big fan of that mid-2000’s power metal sound, it’s super nostalgic. 

Although I am completely enamored with this album, I am not blind to see that this album might not be everyone’s cup of tea. The album has moments of full force and the production can be a little cluttered. I know I can get through an album like this in one sitting but someone a little less acclimatised to this genre and I could understand how this could be a little much. Although the album does have it’s moments of brevity, the production is quite in your face. Some people like that and some don’t, both of which is understandable. Still worth mentioning, as much as it didn’t effect my enjoyment. 

I think my personal favourite tracks from the record are “Teardrops” & “Cure For Everything”. “Teardrops” for it’s beautiful melody that sticks in my head long after the album is over and then when I revisit it, I can’t help but sing along. Then “Cure For Everything” just flows so well. I think everything comes together so succinctly. From it’s overture of an opening to the anthemic chorus line to the blistering gut-punch of a solo. Even the bleep-bloop ringing of the keyboards in the background fit so well here. I think the compositions are so tight and Mikko Karmila takes all of the material and mixes everything into this wonderful power metal soup.

I know this one has been a little bias and not really a critique as such. It was way more of celebratory blog talking about how much I love this album. From start to finish this album is immensely powerful. Don’t be surprised if you see this on my favourite albums of 2024 end of year list. This album is an absolute masterpiece and a triumph of metal. Sonata Arctica are back in a big way. Every single song feels so attune to what fans want from a power metal album.

CHECK OUT SONATA ARCTICA: YOUTUBE | SPOTIFY | 

Did you like this album review? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee