So, this started as an album review. It has evolved from that in some ways, because, well, I just have to tell you about this band that I’ve been listening to. Yes, they’re that good. They have that sound that I’ve been looking for for a few years now. If you know me, you’ll know that I enjoy weird-sounding rock bands. Bands that seem to enjoy breaking the rules of rock music in some way or another. For me, rock music has always been about expression and standing out. If you’re not in it to stand out from the pack, then why do it? That’s why I want to talk about this band. Coming to us from Warsaw, Poland, I am referring to Hypnosaur. This band, quite honestly, broke my brain when I first heard them. In this blog, I’m going to talk about two of the studio records that they’ve released and express my thoughts and feelings about them. Just to give you a taste of this band and give a moment to explain why I like them so much. Just to start, what do they sound like? Well, they’re a band that hits that sweet spot between stoner rock, psychedelic rock and punk rock. They have this almost ' 70s-style quality. You know that era when everyone was just breaking the rules to see what sticks. I’ve really been enjoying their brand of psychedelia-infected alternative rock. Something that caught me so off guard when I first listened to them was the tone of the instruments. There was just this muted audio quality that sounded so full. The riffs are sharp and hooked me in. The crisp drum work and the rough vocals give them such an edge. Their music instantly enthralled me.
Doomsday is the 2022 release that made me sit up and take notice of them. I originally liked their sound, though I only found it a year or so later; it was still something that worked for me. From the moment of the anthemic chorus line of the second track, “The Hole”, I was into it. The kind of tone you’d get from listening to classic rock radio at 2 am, with sing-along tunes that would be good for a long car journey. I really enjoyed this album. As it progresses, I just found more and more things to enjoy. The electronic synth elements add this extra layer of depth to the sound. This is the kind of music I’ve always found interesting. That stoner-style riff-rock. Fuzzy riffs, thick-sounding solos that feel like they're pushing the amps past their breaking point. Vocals that sound like they're coming from a hazy dream. It’s music from a bygone era brought forward into the modern day. I love tracks like “Desert Tornado”, “Godfucker” and “Heart of Stone”, which have these qualities. They definitely have songs that feel more on the level of what people would define as classic rock. However, Hypnosaur have a distinct style that makes its mark. The electronic fuzz and distorted riffs are atmospheric, and this is something that they would work on and refine for their next album.
Afterlife is a very different feeling album from Doomsday. In many ways, Hypnosaur looked at their work, and you can tell they wanted to stretch their minds and abilities for this one. Afterlife has been one of my bright spots in 2026. This is such a considerable improvement over Doomsday in every way. The production feels bolder; it feels like the band is taking more risks with their sound, but not only that, they feel more complete than Doomsday did, and I liked that album a lot. The electronica elements make the band's sound as a whole feel more complete. Songs like “Reality-141” and “World of Insanity” are exceptionally good songs that feel like statement pieces. With catchy choruses, weird tonal qualities and earwormy instrumentation that kept me hooked and wanting to repeat them over and over. All the while not losing that fuzzy stoner rock sound that was the foundation of Doomsday. It just hit all of the dopamine in my head.
I genuinely think that if you like your rock with a healthy dose of psychedelia, this is definitely a band for you. The spacier songs like “Alone” will win you over as it shows the band understand this style and knows how to use their strengths to elevate it. If you like the hard rock, more progressive aspects, then the title track “Afterlife” has you covered. If you're more in for the rough and ready punk styles then “Danger” is the track for you. However, even though they're experimenting, this still feels more like a refined product. This album really does that little bit of everything and with the signature vocals that meld into the instrumental production it almost feels like the music of the sci-fi loving 70s and 80s.
If you know me, you’ll know that this style of rock music is so far up my alley. It hits all of the hallmarks that I look for in a rock band. Inventive, weird, heavy, good riffs, and it all left me with the feeling that I’d listened to something special. I wanted to share this band with all of you and just go into what I found in them. When I find a new band that I really like, I need to share them around and try to get as many people listening as possible. Hypnosaur have definitely been a band that has been on my radar for the last couple of years, and I’m glad I got into them. Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to hear them perform live sometime in the future, as I can only imagine what they sound like on the stage. For now, I’m happy listening to these records. I hope I’ve done enough to get you to check them out, support them, and explain why I’ve fallen in love with their sound so thoroughly. I hope this has been something that will get to over to their pages and start listening to them.

Comments
Post a Comment