Skip to main content

Gig Report: Project Renegade w/ Second Cities and ChemiQueen @ The Ferret, Preston 29/08/24



I’ve been following the Greek metallers, Project Renegade, for some time. I have adored their music and feel like their two albums; Order Of The Minus and Ultra Terra are some of the best metalcore we’ve had in the last 10 years. Their music is awesome and speaks to me on an emotional level. I’ve wanted to check them out live since I first heard them, and I thought I would have to head over to Greece to do so. Well in the year of our lord 2024, it turns out that I wouldn’t have to. Earlier this year they announced a full-on UK tour in the run-up to their appearance at Depravation Festival in Swindon. You better believe I bought a ticket quicker than Speedy Gonzalez. The nearest date to me was the Preston show at a little venue called The Ferret. Fast-forwarding to the night of the show. I rocked up to the venue (a little early). I had never been to this venue before and was surprised at how cosy it was. Sat on top of the hill that was Fylde Road, I wouldn’t say there was a tonne of space but enough to make even a small crowd atmospheric. The other reason I got there early was to check out the support acts ChemiQueen and Second Cities.



The night got off to a bit of a rocky start with some technical issues. However, after a bit of tinkering, the first band, ChemiQueen decided to plough ahead with the night come hell or high water. As the old saying goes; the show must go on. So how were they? Well, I think they are a nice blend of melodic and heavy. Even though their overall live tone this night was a little muddy (thanks to the aforementioned tech issues) I think they managed to put their best foot forward. Even though they were playing to the early night crowd they still put on an admirable performance. I think what shone through the most was the vocal performance of vocalist, Victoria Walker. She was charismatic and man could she hit those notes when the time called for it. I quite enjoyed the musicality of the band as they managed to navigate the different areas of metal evolution. As they pressed on with their performance and showed off more of the material, I was becoming more lost in their sound. I heard a lot of technicality in their musicianship. You could hear some real details in the guitar with licks and riffs that add so much texture to their tone. Even through the mists of their massive tone, they came across as very relatable and down-to-earth. I think this was a great opening set. It set the pace for the rest of the night while showcasing their sound. I think their music is good and I would jump at the opportunity to see them again.



After that start, it was a wonder where the night was going to head next. One couldn’t have predicted the fire-filled fun fest that was to come. Exploding onto the stage were the emo-rock stylings of Birmingham’s Second Cities. This was an intense set with captivating performances that set the night in motion. The alt-rock riffs and energetic melodies were so much fun to watch. They were a whirlwind of charisma and riffs. Frontman Jamie Martin was a very eccentric performer, roaming around and trying to inspire and generate enthusiasm from the concertgoers. The crash of the drums and the roar of the guitars sounded like an engine revving up and when they hit the chorus lines, they went all out. It feels like their overall sound came out of the late 2000s. It fits the idea of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Hard licks, punchy choruses and infectious hooks that just get lodged in your brain. Which honestly, makes for a great night of entertainment. It allows an audience to become lost in the fun of the performance without demanding an awful lot from a crowd. A highlight of their set was a cover of Adele’s “Rolling In The Deep”, a bold choice, they could’ve gone a few different directions for a cover. I could see that it put a few smiles on a few faces. It’s a bold tune that lends itself to rock quite well and I enjoyed their interpretation. I must say that they won a few new fans on this night. Between their inviting personalities to their animated performance, Second Cities inspires a lot of confidence that they can take their music to the next level. If they keep this up I think the sky's the limit for them. 





Finally, the time had come to watch a band that I’d been waiting for. A year after I had interviewed them (check out my interview here) Project Renegade took to the stage. At the outset, I just want to say that I had such an amazing time with this set. It was short and sweet and honestly, I just wanted more and more. I would have been content with them playing both albums all the way through. However, I think they managed to mix their setlist with a good range of their work. Enough to show off their style while not over-indulging. Every member of the band was so humble and took the responsibility of headlining with the utmost respect. In turn, the Preston crowd were genuine in their enthusiasm. Their set acted as the greatest montage of their music as the band expertly navigated between songs. Hits like “Liber8”, “The New Joker” and “Token” bounced off of album tracks like “Bloodwitch” and “Civil Unrest”, it just made for an excellent experience. I can only imagine if this was your first experience of their music. As someone who has loved their music for a while and now getting to hear it live on stage, I can confirm that this was a next-level fan experience.


You can tell that this meant the world to the band. I can understand how this could have been daunting. Though it was so nice to see the band take to the UK like a duck to water and they were embraced by the UK fans. The band were so enthusiastic as they performed with the drummer Ody wearing a custom mask painted with the England flag, and the rest of the band donned their luminescent green stage outfits. Vocalist Marianna was a pure force of nature. Mixing her clean and guttural vocals, all of which came through crystal clear. Even though the music was heavy they still managed to create a wholesome and welcoming atmosphere that anyone could get in on with audience members dancing and singing along. Even when the power completely went out during “The Fix Is In”, the crowd stayed and remained supportive. Even singing Smash Mouth’s “All-Star”. During the power outage, the band remained dignified and when the lights came back on they would only go on to play one more song. Bringing the night to a close.

What a fantastic night of entertainment. From the opening song from ChemiQueen, through the crushing wave of Second Cities and to the closing riffs of Project Renegade I can firmly say that this was worth the trip out to Preston. This was my first time in the venue and I hope it’s not the last. I discovered some new bands and I have a much deeper appreciation for a band that I already loved. This was an excellent night and I hope you, dear reader, get to see all three of these bands.

Did you like this gig report? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee



Comments