Skip to main content

Album Review: Robert Jon And The Wreck - Red Moon Rising

I’ll tell you what. Ever since I saw them live at the tail-end of last year (full blog here), I have become a pretty fan of Robert Jon and The Wreck. Their Southern rock style is something that spoke to me on a personal level. Growing up loving country and rock music and developing a love for any band that mixes the two genres, it’s no wonder that the Californian rockers have grabbed my imagination as much as they have. It’s honestly a wonder why I didn’t know about them until late 2023. Anyway, I’ve had the opportunity to listen to their new album Red Moon Rising and, well, it’s damn good. It has fantastic production, stellar songwriting, poetic lyrics and an overall joy to listen to. This album is a slight departure from their normal sound, though it is still recognisably theirs. I would say this is more of an evolution of their sound than an actual deviation. Their blues-infused rock ‘n’ roll styling still shines through on this one and has a healthy dose of countrified energy that pushes it over the edge. 

The album opens on slide guitar twang and bursts into the lead single “Stone Cold Killer”. It’s just a fun and bouncy way to start an album. Like it just gets you in the mood to have fun right from the get-go. If you’re not singing the chorus to this song long after the album is over, I’d be impressed. They just have such a good command of hooks and earworms, their music is easy to get stuck in your head. The production is so damn clean and vibrant, all elements of the instrumentation bubble to the surface. Be it the soulful melody of “Ballad of a Broken Hearted Man” or the rebel-rousing title track “Red Moon Rising'' it's pretty safe to say that they can deliver the goods! On my first listen I found myself getting more and more drawn in and before I knew it, the album had finished, so I had to put it on again. 

I don’t know if this would be everyone's cup of tea. The album is very much a product of the culture and genre. Their bluesy style cuts through and I think their heavy country influences could be considered a slight drawback for some. People who enjoy their rock ‘n’ roll from the 60s and 70s will find them easier on the ear. Especially those who enjoy the work of bands like Creedence Clearwater Revival. However, people who are more at home with the current state of southern rock, with the big booming riffs and stadium-worthy choruses might find them a little lackluster. I personally don’t mind. They clearly wear their influences on their sleeves and are not bogged down with pretentious musical choices. They don’t bow to popular taste and they make the music they enjoy playing. Which I can respect. 

Production-wise, this album sounds excellent. All levels of the musicianship on display show though. The functional machine that is the rhythm section is excellent with smooth bass, persistently pumping drums and crackling rhythm guitars. The lead guitar solos performed by Henry James Schneekluth are a wonder to behold. The way he can masterfully move from one section to another, he just makes it sound so damn easy. Then the wild keyboard sound that Jake Abernathie produces will make you want to do-si-do. Then you have the man himself Robert Jon Burrison. Holy cow, this man has a voice that just doesn’t quit. His vocals are absolutely divine on this album, and indeed of all his records that preceded this. All together, you get the living definition of a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. 

I’ve had a genuinely fun time reviewing this one. I’ve had a great time getting to know this band since I discovered them in the back end of 2023. Their music is very much my style. Clear, concise and uncomplicated. Their music is filled to the brim with poetry and their sound oozes heart and soul. It’s beautiful and honest and I think that’s all that’s needed from them. This is certainly one to get this summer in my opinion. 


CHECK OUT ROBERT JON AND THE WRECK: SPOTIFY | FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE

Did you like this album review? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee