Skip to main content

Album Review: Knightfall - Destiny Calling

Some combinations in music just go together so seamlessly. Certain subjects match certain tones so well. I think that the subject of swords, sorcery and medieval knights blend so well with symphonic and progressive rock. Something about the folky yet grandiose sounds of the genre matches the setting so well. I’ll tell you something, there are so many bands and artists out there that are so imaginative and creative when it comes to this. When I first came across the band Knightfall, the latest project from Keith Dombrowski and is something that is completely within my taste of music. I love this high-concept heavy metal that allows for imaginative ideas to flow and you, as the listener, can just take in the lyrics and music combined and just become lost in the sound. The album Destiny Calling is a fun and engaging album with lots of interesting concepts, ideas and themes that I have been enjoying. It’s been an album that I’ve been able to put on and go and walk through my local park and I definitely feel that there’s a lot here for fans of the genre and beyond.

The album's production is a bit of a mixed bag. I think the album has highs and lows. I think there are definite areas for fine-tuning and improvement. I think this album soars its highest with the vocal performances. There are a fair few vocalists on this record all of which deliver very different and massive sounding vocals. There are seven different vocal performers on this record: Pete Rawcliffe, Stefani Keogh, Marcos PeƱate, Susy Eskarlett, Adrien Djouadou and Jessica Mercy all have different sections of this record to themselves. Each of them brings something interesting to the record as a whole. Whether it be the excellent character work of Rawcliffe as he provides a great depth of character work in his narrative segments and vocal work. The stunning vocal range of Stefani Keogh. I think my favourite vocal performance on this album comes from Adrien Djouadou on the songs “Remember My Name” and “Destiny Calling”. He just adds this amazing flair to the songs he’s a part of, making them a super-special listening experience.

That’s not to say this album is all about the vocal work. It’s a significant part of course but it’s not everything. As much as I like the album I think something that sticks out about the production is the drums. I’m someone who appreciates the strong core rhythm section. I think drum work on a metal album is so key to sounding huge. However, I do think the drums just sound very thin to me. I’m expecting this hard-hitting percussion and I just don’t get it. While the album goes up and down with this element. I think the song where I notice this most is actually the opening song “Children of Time”. I don’t think it ruins the experience, like I said, I ‘ve been listening to this album and have been enjoying it. It’s just a part of the music that I felt didn’t quite work for me.

Compositionally this record certainly has its moments of real greatness. The way the songs flow into one another feels so fitting. I would recommend listening to this as an album for that alone. Each of the songs individually is epic in scale as Dombrowski’s music swells around the chorus lines. They have a good understanding of how to write hooks and how to implement them into the songs. As many of the main hook-lines lingered in my head long after listening. For example in the 2nd song “Warcries”. You can tell that a lot of passion went into this composition, I just feel that with some songs, this project doesn’t fully stick the landing in terms of the production.

I think overall this project is very worth listening to. There’s so much to appreciate and it’s clear that a lot of talent, energy and time has gone into it. If you are into your symphonic metal and have a taste for something that will make you feel like a knight of the Round Table. This might be something that will capture your imagination. I have very much enjoyed this album and no doubt I will continue to love it going forward. I think everyone involved with this project is immensely talented and brought their A-game to the table. I think my favourite song on the album is either “The Musketeer” or “The Hero Walks Alone”. For me, both of those songs ride on such a high note and feel like the points where the production, writing and composition feel at their best. An interesting album for sure and something worthy of your attention.

CHECKOUT KNIGHTFALL: WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | SHOP | YOUTUBE

Did you like this album review? Consider supporting on Buy Me A Coffee