Skip to main content

Album Review: Exit Eden - Femmes Fatales

Well, here we go 2024 and already this year has lay a golden egg right out of the gates. Exit Eden are heading into a brand new chapter with all new music and a new album, Femmes Fatales. Filled with six original songs and additionally they’ve taken six beloved classic tunes and given them an Exit Eden style makeover. This album was a treat to listen to. It’s amazing to hear the joint talent of ClĂ©mentine Delauney (from Visions of Atlantis), Anna Brunner (from League of Distortion) and Marina La Torraca (from Phantom Elite). Their voices blend so well together and their combined might hit you, the listener so hard. Also, if you the production ability of Anna Brunner and Hannes Braun (Kissin’ Dynamite) and the mastering from Jacob Hansen (who has worked with Delain, Amaranthe, Volbeat, Destruction and many more) you can tell, this was a bit of a dream team to create this record.

I’ll start with the cover songs. I think they were fairly well chosen covers. Big dramatic songs that take advantage of the raw power and brilliant vocal technique of the trio. I think the only cover that doesn’t really work is “Poison” by Alice Cooper. Whilst I think their version of the song is fine, it doesn’t really work for me personally. I think it’s because the original song is too ingrained in my mind. When all three singers have a go at the song their vocals feel a bit overkill for the song. Just in my view. However, I think the rest of the covers are really well done. My favourites of them being “Kayleigh” by Marilion and “Alone” by Heart. Both a massive songs that really allow the singers to breathe and shine. Also, the production is really open and makes the songs sound massive. Honestly, though I didn’t think I needed a symphonic metal cover of “Separate Ways” by Journey, but I will say Exit Eden really make the song hit different! With a beautiful centre-core for the harmony and moments where they can belt and just have fun with the melody, it gives me the chills every time.

Moving on to the original tracks. I think from a compositional level they sound great. There’s a lot to appreciate. The overwhelming catchiness of the “Femme Fatale”, the beautiful haunting tones of “Buried In The Past” and “Hold Back Your Fear” or the folky dark nature of “Run!”. The latter happening to feature the commanding vocal talents of Marco Hietala. Each of the original songs contain poetic imagery, well composed and balanced melodies and each of the trio getting their own turn to shine. I think the dynamic between the three works to the albums advantage. ClĂ©mentine Delauney’s classically beautiful tone, Anna Brunner’s tuneful and controlling melody and Marina La Torraca’s exciting and playful vocal work. If you take all of it into consideration and merge their talents you get something special. It's something that I've personally really enjoyed.

I think Exit Eden took everything they learned from working on the first album Rhapsodies in Black, and their combined experience in their respective projects and translated that into an excellent package that any fan of symphonic metal can enjoy. The harmonies are beautiful the original songs are sincere and well-written and the covers are a chance for them to cut loose and just have some fun with already established hits. I would say that, if you’re not into this sort of music in the first place there’s nothing really here to lure you over to the genre. However, for those of us in the fandom and in the know, this is an extra special treat. For me personally, I really like it. The records is a constant flurry of high moments until the very end and when it’s over I wanted to replay it again…. And again.

CHECK OUT EXIT EDEN