Skip to main content

EP Review: Prognosis - Esigen

The Manchester based prog-metal quartet, Prognosis has been on the come up for a while now. I’ll be honest, I haven’t had much of a chance to listen to them over the years. The last time I checked them out live, the project was still in it’s relative infancy. Since then they have expanded and I always hear news of their exploits. Now, their new EP, Esigen is out and the band is armed with a brand new line up. Prognosis are marching full steam ahead into 2024 with an all new attitude. For this new EP, the band worked with heroes of the metal world. Including sound engineers; George Lever (Sleep Token, Monuments, Loathe) and Grant Macfarland (August Burns Red, Rivers of Nihil, Polaris). This EP is a whole different beast from what I had heard from them in the past. I’ve really been enjoying this new music and if it’s a sign of things to come, then sign me up.

I think my first thoughts on listening to this EP were something along the lines of “this is one beefy boy of a record!”. Which it is. The production is big and bold. Those riffs and basslines hit so hard. The guitar and drum work is exemplary from the opening moments of “Phantom Force” to the closing notes of “Kissing Vipers”. Every element of the production is integrated so well and it all flows from one section to the next. I even like the incorporation of the electronic flairs layered into the production. It adds a lot of dimension to the sound and gives the heavy guitars some colour within the sound design. Floating on to of the well crafted sound you have the vocals of Corban SkillĂ„nder. However, don’t let the airy and light vocal work fool you, when this guy wants t, he can put some serious power behind the vocal work. Which, when coupled with the controlled chaos of the music, is a full force power trip.

I have to credit the composition and writing of this EP. In just three songs, Prognosis take you on a journey of beautiful melodies, hard hitting riffs, complex and intricate solos, & poetic lyrics. It all just comes in this wonderful tight little bow. Even if you’re someone that’s not massively into progressive metal, I think Prognosis has something for you here. I think everything just fits together so seamlessly. The the riffs and solos connect well together and seem to fit in well the overall song structures. I think my favourite track on the EP is probably “Phantom Force”. It’s such a full on powerhouse of a track, the mix of clean and harsh vocals works the best on this song. I think they found the right balance here. Though “Kissing Vipers” is more of a technical effort and “Follow You Down” has more of a heavy tone and atmosphere. The opener drew me in more and it’s a song I consistently keep returning to.

This EP is really fun! I think Prognosis have such a bright future coming. I think this line up is really tight and everyone plays their part to perfection. Esigen is a great sample of what this new line up can do and I’m eager to hear more from them. Their technical proficiency is matched by their imagination for creating music. It’s definitely worth picking up and I hope I get the opportunity to see them live and hear these songs, in the near future.

CHECK OUT PROGNOSIS