Skip to main content

Interview with Matty James Cassidy

Photo by Ronan McGrade

Where do you think your passion for music came from?

Hard to know, but I got the bug young and that was it. My parents always listened to a lot of music and my brother who plays in the band with me paved the way by learning guitar. That’s probably why I started out as a drummer, so we could start a band.



What is your method for coming up with new songs?

I usually get a notion for a song first. A melody, a chorus, a line, sometimes just a word will fall from the sky without warning and you have to stop and take note, then I carry it around for a while until one day I’m sitting with a guitar and the rest comes together. Usually quite quickly. I have a theory that the longer a song takes to write, the longer it takes the listener to get it, so I don’t struggle for it. The best ones come in a flash. If it isn’t working I forget about it, put it back in my pocket and keep it with me a while longer, sometimes years, until the time is right.



What are your plans going forward in 2020?

Well, I think most people’s plans for this year have been somewhat scuppered, but you have to roll with the punches. I have a new album to release once things settle down and we’re allowed to go out and gig it. In the meantime, I’ve a long list of other projects to get on with. First up is the acoustic record I’m making during the lockdown called ‘The Isolation Tapes’.



Who are your biggest influences?

All sorts really, but it always comes back to the greats, The Stones, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash... 



What is the one song you wish you had written?

Happy Birthday



Are there any bands/artists that you recommend that don’t get much attention?

There’s a band in Nashville called Blackfoot Gypsies I really like. 


What is your opinion of crowdfunded music (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.), are there any improvements that artists could make to use it better?

I used PledgeMusic a few times and it was great, until it wasn’t, but that’s another story. All independent bands are crowdfunded to an extent, even if it’s just funding their next album from merch sales or gigs. All we can do is try and keep it interesting and most importantly, deliver something special to those willing to support you


 
 
If there is one thing you would like to achieve in your career, what would it be?

Just making a living as a musician is an achievement I’m very grateful for, but it’s all about the songs, if even one of mine happens to stand the test of time I’d be happy with that. 




What would be the one piece of advice you would give to an aspiring musician?

Bring a book, you’re going to be here a while. 




Photo by Neil Jac
What is the best gig you have been to as a fan?

There’s been quite a few. Oasis was the first band I saw live when I was a kid. I got to see The Rolling Stones a couple of times on their last tour which was pretty special.



What are your biggest interests away from music?

Same as most really, books, films and a good drink.  



What is the hardest thing you have had to overcome and how did you overcome it?

Learning to not take things too seriously and give myself a break, I’m still working on it but I certainly enjoy things more the longer I’ve been doing this. 


 
CHECK OUT MATTY JAMES CASSIDY
https://mattyjamescassidy.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattyjamescassidy.com/