Skip to main content

Album Review: The Outlaw Orchestra - Pantomime Villains


So, I seemed to have talked about The Outlaw Orchestra a lot. That's because I positively fell in love with their sound from the first moments I have their music. They've taken two of my favourite genres, rock 'n' roll and bluegrass, and blended them together into a fantastic musical stew that can be enjoyed by anyone. I've also had the great pleasure of seeing them live a few times now and, let me tell you, they are nothing short of brilliant. Bringing all their great tunes and serving it up with fantastic showmanship and stage presence. Simply put they are one of the best underground rock bands going around in the UK today. I ain't just saying that I genuinely feel that way. So, I have had the opportunity to take an early listen to their new upcoming album Pantomime Villains. It's an amalgamation of some of their most popular songs that they play at gigs and given the full-on studio treatment. So a very enjoyable listen for those who have gone to their shows in recent years. Yet also, a great jumping-on point for people that may have not given them a chance.

I have to say this album sounds absolutely amazing. It could have been so easy for the heavier rock instrumentation to take over here. Like, ramp up the guitar and drums to the point where it dominates. Yet, they show an amazing amount of restraint. Every part of the instrumentation comes through really clear. You get those deep bass grooves along with the twangy banjo and steel-lap-guitars, it all feels right at home. Then you have those raw and dulcet tones of the electric guitar that gives the music some real punch. If you like you modern rock sounding like it came fresh out of the 70s then I think you have found the album for you. The vocals are rough-cut and earnest, ultimately it works with the overall feel of the production. It gives the album a gritty vibe that can only be achieved in southern rock. Creating a very down-to-earth sound that is relatable and quite enjoyable. 

The songs themselves are fun tunes with tonnes of quotable lyrics and engaging melodies. I mean I dare you not to be humming at least half of the tunes once the album is finished. I feel that the sheer enjoyment fact is enough reason to stick this album on repeat a few times. You can just tell that they have such a good time playing these songs, at the same time you can hear the care and passion it took to make them sound just right on this album. The way the music fits together, the fun lyrical decisions and the subtle little background details that give their music its charm. It's one of those records that has a timeless feel right out of the great. 

As you could probably tell, I really like this band. Sure they're not for everyone but I do think they have a sound that feels quite universal. Their music ranges from quite silly to very grounded. They keep a light-hearted tone throughout the album and I think we all need an album that can pick up your spirits. It may not be the most artistic endeavour but I think their music serves a basic need for enjoyment and fun. Sometimes music just needs to exist to be escapism and a little bit of a laugh and I think The Outlaw Orchestra has provided that in spades.