Skip to main content

Album Review: Ashley McBryde - Never Will


I remember first discovering Ashley McBryde and being absolutely floored by this woman. Her album Girl Going Nowhere was simply sensational and filled with stellar songwriting and well-performed production. I then had the opportunity to see her live in concert at, Country 2 Country Festival in Dublin and again she just left me with my jaw on the floor. She is everything I want in a performer. Confident, commanding and fun. So, when I heard she was releasing her follow up this year I knew it was something I had to listen to. Her latest release Never Will is another strong record with more of that good old southern charm that made me enjoy her music in the first place. 

Right from the word go, this album really hits you in the feel. Ashley is a fantastic songwriter and storyteller. She adds just enough detail into her lyrics to help you imagine the scenarios that she is depicting and sings with enough conviction to get you in the right emotional mindset of the characters in her songs. Songs like "Voodoo Doll" and "Martha Devine" really hit hard with massive sounding choruses that will have you singing along for days with a big swelling production that hit you hard as the listener. Whilst the more subdued songs like "First Thing I Reach For" and "One Night Standards" are powerful in a different way, playing more like the songs you'd hear in a bar nearing last call. Just really excellent music that gives you that small jolt of joy with a solid catchy melody. Of course, there are the big country ballads on the album too such as "Sparrow" and "Stone" and it definitely works in the context of the record. 

This album just sounds amazing with excellent performances that sound so beautiful in the slower track and really springs to life in the more southern rock style tracks. Ashley has such a distinct voice, with her word coming through clear and man, can she really belt out those choruses when she needs to. There's definitely more of southern rock or classic rock feel to this album. It doesn't feel like a typical country album and I guess that what I really like about it. The album is not just aiming for the country radio audiences, there's more of a broader sound to it. The album caps off with a bit of a silly ode to styrofoam of all things, which I thought was a cute little way to end it off and left me with a smile on my face.

A genuinely pleasant record, that I'm sure pretty much anyone could put on and enjoy in some way or another. Even if you're not the biggest fan of country music, this is still a great album with some damn catchy songs to stay stuck in your hear long after the album is over.